Dragons and Lions: My Life in Rugby, by Steve Fenwick with Craig Muncey

I know this may come as a shock
and it still feels as odd now as it did
all those years ago, but bear with me,
don't judge me quite yet!

A lifetime ago, on the advice of a friend whose extended family included the author (but who said he wouldn’t be attending – read into that what you wish), I took my father to Taff’s Well Rugby Club to drink a pint or two in the company of Steve Fenwick and other local gentleman (women were few and far between and mostly stationed behind the bar) at one of what I must assume were many soft launches of his autobiography. I’ve counted at least five such events from local press. At each I also assume similar gatherings of men, predisposed to enjoying a few beery rugby anecdotes, lapped up some worked-over tales of banter and braggadocio, fistfights and tomfoolery, and basked in the now faded but still reflected glory of a former Wales international and British Lion.

I know we did. Perhaps four pints of Guinness helped, but it was a warm and engaging, if often profane, evening.

The book itself was much of the same – oft-told stories wrapped around some personal reminiscence of life growing up in Nantgarw, working as a teacher, joining Bridgend (my father’s hometown club where he watched Fenwick play in the seventies when the opportunity arose, and where I watched the odd home game with my grandfather in the days of Glenn Webbe), his Wales and Lions career and an injury-curtailed switch of codes. It is wryly amusing, it is an interesting chronicle of a golden age of rugby, but I get the impression Fenwick is a little fond of himself, and enjoys this warm comfort blanket of adulation. I think he may have mentioned his flick pass to Benny for the greatest try in test history a few times.  I imagine he never has to pay for a drink in most pubs along the Taff. I don’t blame him – if I’d had half the fame and renown he has I can’t help but think I’d be a tosser too.

One for the fans, and maybe the curious, I can’t really say a bad word about it, especially when considering all the gash football biographies I’ve read over the years.


(Paid link)

Comments