Storm Front: Dresden Files Book 1 by Jim Butcher

I'd made the vampire cry. Great.
I felt like a real superhero.

I’ve lost track of where I should be in the chronology of these reviews – the intertextual flow has been interrupted by events, dear boy. In fact, I’m struggling with the whole concept of book review blogging in light of the horrible situation in Ukraine and — no, I can’t lie. I’m just lazy and busy.

It’s sooo hard to maintain impetus in such dire straits, right?

Nevertheless, once more considering gamely chipping away at the calcifying backlog, Jim Butcher popped into my head courtesy of The Boys, Amazon Prime’s quality reimagining of Garth Ennis’s darkly humorous (very) graphic novels, and Karl Urban’s portrayal of Billy Butcher.

Worth both a watch and a read if you have the time.

Jim No Relation Butcher is the creator of Harry Dresden, magician and private investigator, another character re-imagined for a brief and shining moment on screen, using the dubious American accent of English Arrow actor Paul Blackthorne. Criminally, the series was cancelled after one season (although I understand dedicated Dresdenverse aficionados would not agree with me) but you can judge for yourselves by purchasing the DVD using the link below (ka-ching).

Oh yes, the novel.

So, book 1 of the Dresden Files is Storm Front and is written in classic hard-boiled gumshoe style with first person narrative, wise cracks and all, filtered through some dark urban fantasy. Over the course of some gruesome murders where hearts seem to be missing, we’re introduced to the titular Harry, his air spirit Bob, who lives in a skull in Harry’s hidden magic laboratory, the Detective Murphy, a Chicago cop who uses Harry’s unique skills to solve unsolvable crimes, and Warden Donald Morgan of the White Council, a magical enforcement organisation with a mandate for swift and lethal justice. There’s some police procedural stuff, the aforementioned grisly murders, some storm energy harnessing, Harry is a suspect then he’s not, some Chicago mobsters, a demon and some nasty scorpion-type-thingies. Turns out it was the amateur magician all along (no, not Harry, the other one), although Morgan would rather it was Harry so he could chop him up with extreme prejudice.

I’d say it’s a new twist on an old favourite, but it’s now an old twist on an even older and pretty tired favourite. It’s fun, has enough blood and mayhem for fans of the darker stuff, but does edge into comic fantasy tropes in places. If I was super critical I might describe it as a bit fluffy, and where Harry stands up for sexual and gender equality made me cringe hard, though of course, with 17 novels and countless Knights of the Online Order queued up to defend them, I’m sure Jim Butcher won’t lose any sleep (or money). And in any case, you know me and Quixotic heroes in flawed serials, so when I can muster the enthusiasm I will probably progress on to Fool Moon and onwards.

If I can be arsed.

(Paid link)

Comments