Think Like An Anthropologist by Matthew Engelke

Image result for think like an anthropologist
I got this one quite wrong. I remember picking it up in Griffin Books in Penarth as it was another example of excellent design – small, compact, blue and with a rewardingly tactile cover – and because it offered an opportunity to learn how to Think Like An Anthropologist. Of course, it doesn’t really. In that, I was a little disappointed.

In fact, once opened, it provides a neat if Eurocentric primer of some of the conceptual pillars in the study of Anthropology, citing key thinkers in the field and not sticking too closely to the usual chronological development of a ‘science’ which is only now just over 150 years old. He talks about the relative perceptions of culture, values, value (discreet ideas), and some emotive issues such as blood and civilization, the latter used so often in a pejorative sense by dog-whistle politicians and policy-makers. It was a quick and informative read, covering a lot of ground and making lots of really interesting clarifications about the discipline and what exactly a white, European or North American anthropologist actually does.

But it didn’t teach me to think like one.

I’m not one to go browsing the self-help shelves of my local bookshop. I’m not into someone else telling me how I’m feeling and what to do about it or suggesting the manifestation of positive outcomes by adopting a positive mindset. But my interest was piqued when I considered that I, too, could think like a disinterested observer of culture (if that is even a correct description of an anthropologist), and exercise my scientific mind.

Shows I should pay a little more attention, n’est pas?

Still, my own disappointed expectations aside it’s a worthy little book and just the thing with which to start a good argument.

(Paid link)

Comments