The In-Betweeners

Travis McGee visits Naples, Florida
Not everything I read makes it onto the pages of this blog. Indeed, of some books it pains me to say I may well be slightly embarrassed to admit having read them, being slightly superior and a somewhat jaded critic of the popular milieu. However, what sort of chronicler of intertextual flow would I be if I were to omit those texts that fill the void between the titles carefully chosen by me to illustrate what an esoteric and highly educated reader I am?

Therefore, I've chosen to humble myself by exposing those little items of brain candy that I occassionally treat myself to, behind closed doors of course. Those shavings of Occam's Razor I call, The In-Betweeners.

I'm not sure why I relegate John D MacDonald to the also-reads, seeing as he is quickly becoming my favourite pulp author. Or maybe I just answered that question. Nonetheless, Bright Orange for the Shroud is number six in the adventures of boat bum and knight errant Travis McGee. This one snuck in between chapters of Tony Judt's call to action during my recent trip to Jersey, as it's hard to concentrate when you're attempting to read whilst your 9 month old is busy chucking himself off the bed head first. I should point out that the narrative is often quite sophisticated, but the plot is easy to follow when you dip in and out. You may find small details that jar, given that the book is set before the Vietnam war / police action / invasion so this is conspicuous by its absence, but otherwise, the series so far hasn't dated that badly. If you're looking for something to chew on for a little while without burning the servos of your mind, then I can't think of another writer who so reliably entertains.

(Paid link)

Comments